Okay, friends. It’s July 3rd. You may know…or maybe you don’t….that more pets get lost during this holiday than at any other time during the year.
Why? I’ll give you one guess. YEP. FIREWORKS. YUCK.
Fireworks freak pets out. This goes for dogs and cats. And we do weird things, like bolt. Dogs will tear loose from their owner’s grip on the leash and cats just get the heck away from the noise.
And, even indoor-only cats are at risk, especially if you have people over to celebrate or you’re grilling out or really any reason the door might be open for longer than a split second.
Here’s a staggering statistic: according to the National Council on Pet Population Study and Policy, less than two percent of lost cats make it home and between 2.5 and 3.5 million cats will end up in shelters each year. Yikes.
Here are Romeo’s top ways to avoid your pet becoming a not good statistic:
1. TODAY, make sure your dog or cat’s microchip info is updated. Call or go online.
2. Put a collar, with ID, on your pet. Microchipping is good but microchipping and collaring is better so if your pet does get lost, a kind stranger or crazy, overwhelmed shelter can immediately get your contact info.
3. Have a family pow wow about keeping an eye on your pets at all times during the festivities over the next couple of days.
4. Consider sequestering your pets for the duration of the celebration. I know Pug and I will be stashed in the spare bedroom during the staff’s party tomorrow and that’s fine with us.
5. If your pet does get lost (gulp!), check out my post about things you should do if your pet gets lost.
6. For more info, see summer pet safety tips at Petfinder or see the cool image below.
Have a safe and happy holiday everyone! Meow for now!