Happy Meouf of July

July 3, 2013

Put a collar on your cat

If you love me, put a collar on me!

Okay, friends. It’s July 3rd. You may know…or maybe you don’t….that more pets get lost during this holiday than at any other time during the year.

Why? I’ll give you one guess. YEP. FIREWORKS. YUCK.

Fireworks freak pets out. This goes for dogs and cats. And we do weird things, like bolt. Dogs will tear loose from their owner’s grip on the leash and cats just get the heck away from the noise.

And, even indoor-only cats are at risk, especially if you have people over to celebrate or you’re grilling out or really any reason the door might be open for longer than a split second.

Here’s a staggering statistic: according to the National Council on Pet Population Study and Policy, less than two percent of lost cats make it home and between 2.5 and 3.5 million cats will end up in shelters each year. Yikes.

Here are Romeo’s top ways to avoid your pet becoming a not good statistic:

1. TODAY, make sure your dog or cat’s microchip info is updated. Call or go online.

2. Put a collar, with ID, on your pet. Microchipping is good but microchipping and collaring is better so if your pet does get lost, a kind stranger or crazy, overwhelmed shelter can immediately get your contact info.

3. Have a family pow wow about keeping an eye on your pets at all times during the festivities over the next couple of days.

4. Consider sequestering your pets for the duration of the celebration. I know Pug and I will be stashed in the spare bedroom during the staff’s party tomorrow and that’s fine with us.

5. If your pet does get lost (gulp!), check out my post about things you should do if your pet gets lost.

6. For more info, see summer pet safety tips at Petfinder or see the cool image below.

Keep Your Pet Safe on the Fourth of July

Have a safe and happy holiday everyone! Meow for now!

sliding door pet door August 30, 2013 at

Pet Doors for Sliding Glass Doors present an excellent remedy for your doggie door or cat door. No really need to cut a hole in the door or wall. No need to modify your sliding glass door framing. Any time you move, take it with you.

dog walker new york July 26, 2013 at

Hi,
Happy Meouf of July. July 3, 2013. Put a collar on your cat. If you love me, put a collar on me! Okay, friends. It’s July 3rd. You may know….

Pet Walker July 23, 2013 at

Those are staggering numbers for cat shelters – thanks for a great article!

Megan Wendell July 8, 2013 at

Yikes, thats a scary thought. I’m glad we’ve had our yard escape-proofed. Then again, our pup feels safest inside our home and will always seek shelter under our bed when there’s something that freaks her out, like the vacuum cleaner. I hope everyone’s 4th of July was as safe as ours.

Jessica Sala July 6, 2013 at

I use a natural calmer for my dog whom hates fireworks! Works great is called Happy Traveler from Ark Naturals.

The Island Cats July 4, 2013 at

That’s some great info, Romeo. It got really noisy here last night…and the mom says tonight won’t be any better.

Have a safe and happy 4th of July!

Sparkle July 3, 2013 at

Thanks for the head’s up! If my human is anywhere near as sick tomorrow as she is today, she will be spending the Fourth right at home with us.

meowmeowmans July 3, 2013 at

Great tips, Romeo and Pugsley. Fourth of July can be such a scary time for pets, and we have to do everything we can to prepare.

Kitties Blue July 3, 2013 at

Thanks for all the great tips. We always have our collars on, some of us are also microchipped. Our mom always tries to make sure we are off the catio and in the house before any of the boomers start. Wishing efurrybuddy a safe and fun-filled 4th. Purrs and hugs, Lily Olivia, Mauricio, Misty May, Giulietta, Fiona, Astrid, Lisbeth and Calista Jo

Carma Poodale July 3, 2013 at

Great information. Glad you included what to do if your pet gets lost.
Have a safe and fun 4th of July!

Christina Berry July 3, 2013 at

LOVE this list, especially #5! Always good to plan ahead, in case the worst happens. Have a great holiday! :)