Simba the Cat Visits High School Every Day for 13 Years

April 4, 2013

When students at Westbrook High School near Portland, Maine show up for school each morning, among them is an unusual classmate: Simba, an orange neighborhood tabby who’s been visiting the high school every day for nearly 13 years.

According to Portland news station WMTW-TV, teacher Tina Soucy found Simba sitting outside the school doors one morning years ago and she let him inside. Since then, he’s been showing up promptly at 7 a.m. every morning for class.

School staff and the 800 students dote on the 15-year-old cat, who greets students at the doors in the morning and then makes his classroom rounds throughout the day. “He’ll show up in class and just sit on people’s textbooks,” says student Kim Larley.

Administrators do keep an eye on Simba to make sure he’s safe and doesn’t bother students with allergies. But most of the students welcome Simba’s attention.

“Simba seems to lighten everybody’s day,” says school art director Carol Conner.

Last night, the school honored Simba and his owner with a benefit art show. The subject matter? Simba of course.

Simba’s owner, Eileen Shutts, lives nearby and doesn’t mind Simba’s daily visits.

Marc Grousse, the district’s superintendent, believes Simba’s presence is good for the students…and for Simba. “I think he probably knows he’s liked and loved…and it’s mutual.”

Source and Photos: WMTW-TV

Mustachio January 6, 2014 at

Simba is one cute cat. Very moving story.

I will add picture of Simba here aswell, just for respect:

these people made my day!!! April 7, 2013 at

Its good to know some people still have a warm heart!! Dave &Kari

these people made my day!!! April 7, 2013 at

I got 16 cats love them all dave kari !!!!!

these people made my day!!! April 7, 2013 at

god bless this cat I got 16 cats!!! love them all!!! dave & kari

these people made my day!!! April 7, 2013 at

god bless this cat I got 16 cats!!! love them all!!!

KUKUCAT April 6, 2013 at

JUST A STORY

Terri April 6, 2013 at

Animals can do wonderful things for us if we let them.

Nancy Herrmann April 16, 2013 at

They sure can, as long as they’re not peeing on your slippers or something . . . Ter I sure hope this is you lol ;)

cris h April 6, 2013 at

I’ve taught school for 34 years and this is one of the best stories I’ve ever read!!!!

Julie April 6, 2013 at

As a person living with Cystic Fiborsis, having a pet around makes things less stressful. It’s like having a friend who listens and cares. They say people with pets live longer and happier lives. I am going on 41 years old next month (May) so there has to be some truth because the median age for people with CF is just 37 years old yet I am still here.

Cats are very friendly and don’t require a lot of work so they are among the least stress when it comes to maintenance. Got to love Simba for the joy he brings the students and faculty. It is also nice to hear that he has a home. What a wonderful mascot he makes for them. ;)

Fisher April 6, 2013 at

The teach who let Simba should get tons of honors!

Tina Soucy April 8, 2013 at

haha that was me. Getting kisses from Simba is honor enough. :) Tina Soucy

Maxwell, Faraday & Allie April 5, 2013 at

THAT is sooo cool! We think those kids are getting a much more well-rounded education than OUR mommy did when SHE went to school. Just meowing.

Terri Y April 5, 2013 at

It is so nice that – for once – we are hearing of a cat on a high school campus NOT being abused by the students or staff!
I wonder what originally drew this beautiful, wonderful animal to such a busy and uncertain place?
I’m sure everyone there is better for his presence.
May Simba live a long and happy life full of Love and Peace.

Terri April 5, 2013 at

I love reading unusual stories about cats. This is one of the cutest things ever. I am glad to see how everyone watches over Simba. The faculty, staff, students and Mr. Grousse should be commended for their compassion. Animals always make everything better!

justjems April 5, 2013 at

This is a wonderful story to end the day (or Simba’s school day) Bless him and all the students for the love they shower on him and for the administrators for keeping an eye on him. He’s a beautiful champagne color to me (not quite orange) and I love the color – it’s always special to me. His owner at least knows where to find him and that he’s safe and would be notified if anything were to happen to him. Love the story. He must be in First Year College by now!!

BARBARA LYNCH April 5, 2013 at

LOVE THIS STORY SIMBA IS BEAUTIFUL I JUST LOVE ORANGE CATS.

Dalia Hettfield. April 5, 2013 at

GOS Bless Simba The Cat and all those Angels at school, that take care of him
Beautiful story! I have a cat with the very same name, Simba, and I adore him.
Thank You so much for sharing this touching story.
Blessings For All!!!
Much LOVE, Light, Peace
B.D♥

skylar April 5, 2013 at

THANK YOU A NICE STORY. AND THIRTEEN YEARS AN SIMBA HAS NEVER BEEN BULLIED, OR HURT IN ANY WAY. THERE IS A PLACE THAT SEEMS TO BE TO GOOD TO BE REAL.

DOROTHY BIENEN April 5, 2013 at

WHAT A TOUCHING STORY…PETS AND KIDS BELONG TOGETHER…AND IN THIS CASE IT IS SO WONDERFUL TO KNOW THIS CAT HAS A HOME..YET LOVES GOING TO SCHOOL EACH DAY. THIS IS SOMETHING THESE CHILDREN WILL TAKE WITH THEM THEIR WHOLE LIVES!!!

AS A FIRST GRADE CLASSROOM TEACHER, I ADORED HAVING PETS IN MY ROOM…THE CHILDREN LEARNED SO MUCH FROM HAVING A GUINEA PIG OR MICE OR FISH OR A PARAKEET IN THE ROOM….SOME OF THEM EVEN BECAME VETS…..SUCH A GOOD THING! gREAT STORY….DRB

Robyn Price April 5, 2013 at

I completely agree with Delvia, what a great experience HS would have been with a kitty running around!! Lucky kids ;)

Lynne April 5, 2013 at

How nice that they have welcomed Simba in school for 13 years. I only wish all animals would receive the same compassion and love. They deserve it.

Delvia Logan April 5, 2013 at

I do would have liked high school if a cats or cats had been allowed in the building. Way to go Tucker!

Jessica Sala April 5, 2013 at

Love this story!!!!

SAH April 5, 2013 at

I agree! If my high school would have allowed cats, I would have looked forward to school every day! Animals are fantastic teachers of patience and compassion. I am so impressed that the Westbrook High School’s teaching staff and administrators are supportive. They are role models for the rest of the USA educational facilities!

Tina Soucy April 8, 2013 at

Bonnie April 5, 2013 at

What an awesome story! I hated high school, but I would have NEVER missed a day if my high school would have allowed cats to attend classes! lol! Simba is an inspiration to all students and should be given an honorary high school diploma if for no other reason than for attending classes for 13-years! I think it’s awesome that everyone, including the superintendent, teachers and students have all welcomed this awesome cat to be a part of their school!

elizabeth April 5, 2013 at

Cats are so cool and they really do rule the earth!!!

Korrina Fisher April 5, 2013 at

That’s so cool, cute, and unique.

HHollon April 5, 2013 at

I just love a good story. Thank you to everyone there at school for sharing love all around. The kids and teachers love the cat and Simba loves them back. WHAT COULD BE MORE PERFECT THAN THAT???

Thanks for sharing, it made my day ,brought a smile to my face and a song to my heart.

Carol Batten April 5, 2013 at

The thought of an entire school having respect for an animal brings hope into a future that can appear so dim.

HIR April 5, 2013 at

I prayed for Tucker and will continue to do so , hope he is OK. I just got a stray cat spayed and she is a wild one.I have 4 cats now that were strays , and hope to also trap the Tom cat that was with this female and have him neutered. It will be hard to feed & look after 6 cats but couldn’t leave them out there without trying. We have a fenced yard for our 4 cats ,if they will get along with the newcomers. Loved the story of Simba, I had a cat that lived 21 years, she had kittens just after I took her in and her daughter lived to be 20 years.

Mary Lou Overman April 5, 2013 at

Dear Tucker, Thank you for being such a good spokes-person for our four legged friends.We love you. A volunteer at Helping Paws Pet Haven