Furry Friends Friday – Cat Lady Chronicles!

October 5, 2012

It’s Furry Friends Friday, sponsored by Pets Add Life (PAL), whose mission is to spread the joy of multi-pet ownership. We love this mission and we’re here to help!

Each week, we feature a new multi-pet household and today we’re featuring Diane Lovejoy, who loves her multi-pet home so much that she wrote a book about it called Cat Lady Chronicles!

Diane is the director of publications at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston. She also has 10 cats (and one husband but I imagine he is 11th in line when it comes to calling the shots in their house, poor guy).

This book is absolutely DEEEE-LIGHTFUL. Diane is a gifted writer and best of all, cat lady. The book chronicles her life from a no-cat lady to a 10-cat lady and shares the fun, amusing and sweet stories of how it all came to be.

The book is beautiful too, with illustrations, full color pages featuring famous works of cat art and more. If you love cats and consider yourself even a teensy weensy bit of a cat lady or gentleman, you will like this book. Honestly, Diane is such a fun and entertaining writer that the staff couldn’t put the book down.

Diane agreed to an interview for Furry Friends Friday and I’m super excited to share with you. But FIRST, Diane also agreed to gift TWO of you wonderful readers with a copy of her book. All you have to do is leave a comment below telling me when you realized you were a cat person (lady or fella of course!). Leave a comment by Friday the 12 at Noon EST please and I’ll draw a winner!

OK, here’s Diane’s story:

Romeo: What are your pets names, breeds, species and ages
Diane: Lucius – domestic short hair, orange tabby, 14
Lydia – part Siamese, part Egyptian Mau, part grey tabby, 12
Lillie – domestic long hair, calico, 12
Leo – domestic medium hair, orange tabby, 11
Linus – domestic medium hair, orange tabby, 11
L.B. – domestic short hair, grey tabby, 12
T.J. – domestic short hair, grey tabby, 11
Perkins – domestic short hair, calico, 11
Miss Tommie – domestic short hair, calico, 11
Alvar – Oriental, white-and-black, 9

Romeo: When did you get each of them?
Diane: I adopted our cats during an intense four-year period, beginning in July 2000 and “concluding” (i.e., no vacancies) in April 2004.

Romeo: Did you establish a multi-pet household on purpose?
Diane: No, I cannot claim to be a strategist in this way. I simply fell in love with a stray cat whom we named Lucius, and I discovered that I could not stop at one.

Romeo: So, how did it happen?
Diane: After rescuing and adopting Lucius, we adopted Lydia from a pet shelter for homeless and orphaned animals. Then along came Lillie, a mother cat, who delivered three kittens underneath our house; we adopted them. Still other stray felines came and followed, and we adopted them all. Seven of our ten cats are related!

Romeo: How do your cats get along?
Diane: Six of our cats live with us in our house in Houston, Texas; four of our cats—the mother and her three children—live in our garage apartment. There have been hissy fits and many skirmishes through the years, but now that all of our cats are senior citizens, they have found a new, peaceful harmony.

Romeo: Do you believe having more than one pet is a good thing? Why or why not?
Diane: Although the logistics of caring for a multi-pet household are challenging, I am fascinated by having so many personalities living under one roof (and the roof of a garage apartment). I am sure that having one cat is gratifying, but I truly love having an extended family consisting of felines.

Thank you SO much, Diane! For your interview and gracious offer of books for TWO of my lovely readers. Readers! You know what to do to win!

xo,

R

Margot C October 10, 2012 at

My initiation into the world of cat people is lost in the sands of time. I literally always was. My mother was worried and horrified that I was always hugging the cat (and getting scratched) even when I was very little.

twomittzmom October 6, 2012 at

I was a cat little girl so I have loved casts since I was 5 or 6. The book looks great with the cat art included, I would love to read it.

Pudgebutters October 5, 2012 at

It’s probably been close to 10 yrs when I realized I was a cat lady…and proud of it.

Marg October 5, 2012 at

I really want to read that book. I love cat books. I have liked cats all my life but when I moved, I had a whole bunch of feral cats come to live with me since they were starving.
That looks like a really good book.
Have a great week end.

Stu Langley October 5, 2012 at

Many years ago I was sitting in my living room reading, when suddenly I heard a little squeaky cat voice on my front porch. I got up and there was the littlest kitten, hungry and ragged, looking up at me asking for help.
How could you turn down a brave little kitty who had wandered down the city streets of Mount Vernon, WA- going door to door looking for help, OR, as I have sometimes thought- Providence just led her to my door.
T’was the beginning of a many year career of caring for my favorite kitty and learning from her too. Someday, I will have to adopt another. Happy thoughts of Hortense, the cat can still bring a tear to my eye.
I figure if there is a heaven I will see Hortense there. How could a loving god not care for cats too.

Tiger October 5, 2012 at

I’m not a crazy cat lady but more a CONCERNED cat lady. :) Always have been, always will be. It’s a badge I wear with honor!

Karen October 5, 2012 at

I realized I was a cat person shortly after my soon-to-be second cat decided I was. She was an undernourished stray who had been hanging around my house, and I brought her in with plans to try to find a home for her. Before that happened, she surprised me with two furry bundles of joy, and I knew I could never part with any of them. With four cats, I think I’m the official crazy cat lady of the neighborhood.

Julia Jasinski October 5, 2012 at

I think I was born a cat lady, since my parents were cat people before I was born. Cat people are the best people in the world, and cats and books go together like coffee and chocolate.

Amy October 5, 2012 at

Just ordered Cat Lady Chronicles, it could be my autobiography!

Lori October 5, 2012 at

As a mom to 14, I decided to go public last year and put a “crazy cat lady” decal on my car.

Tricia Rule October 5, 2012 at

Being the Mom to three cats, I realized I was a cat lady when I decorated my bathroom with cats, bought cat Christmas cards and pictures. This was reinforced when friends and relatives started buying me cat jewelry etc……

Carolina Cats October 5, 2012 at

What a nice cat lady! The bestest part is that she kept the mama and the babies together. Lucky cats and lucky peoples.

Finny

Carolina Cats October 5, 2012 at

Ooops…I realized I was a cat lady when I adopted my first cat as a “grown up”. My rental house just wasn’t quite right until I adopted Jasper from the Lenawee Humane Society in Michigan.

Mom Nora