Confession and New Project

February 2, 2011

Make Your Litter Box Happy!

Make Your Litter Box Happy!

I have a confession.

I pee on stuff.

I’ve ruined bedspreads, area rugs and even caused my staff to completely replace the upstairs carpet in their old house and rip out the carpet and replace with hardwood in their new house.

I’m the most expensive member of this family, the staff says.

My staff is pretty sure my two-time rescue experience was due to my pee issues. Did you know that inappropriate elimination (read: the cat pees on stuff) is one of the biggest reasons cats are relinquished to shelters or abandoned on the streets?

A lot of the time it’s because the staff does not have the knowledge or the patience to find the cause of the pee/poop issues and try to solve them. I feel really, really lucky I have patient, loving staff who have been willing to work with my problem. But it breaks my staff’s heart that lots of cats out there aren’t so lucky.

SO, she’s embarked upon a new project to help cat parents everywhere: TheHappyLitterbox.com. It’s a site about all things litter box and will include expert articles, Q&A, product reviews, real stories from the front lines and more! And it’s not just for parents of litter box challenged cats. It’s good info for all cat parents because the litter box is a big part of all of our lives, right?

Please help me spread the word about this new resource! Tell your friends, your family, your co-workers and anyone else who needs to know.

Be a fan on Facebook here. Follow The Happy Litter box on Twitter here.

Send me your thoughts, feedback, questions, stories, ideas, solutions! This is a resource for you and every cat parent out there who needs to know they are not alone.

Together we can make every litter box a Happy Litter Box.

Thank you and xoxo!

Cheryl J February 23, 2011 at

Love the new site! This is so helpful. We appreciate all that you and the staff to help cats and educate their fur parents. Romeo and staff you ROCK!

Clementa February 6, 2011 at

Hi just stumbled your blog and been reading some of your posts and just wondering why you selected a Microsoft hosting dont you find it impossible to do anything with?

Mo' February 2, 2011 at

WOO HOO! my oldest, Tiger, never had litterbox issues until recently. i thought it was because i brought an adult male stray into the house and he didn’t like this new cat’s scent it’s been over 3 years and they’re still separated on opposite sides of the house, so i thought getting them used to each others’ scents would help, so i swapped their main living areas a few times, and the carpet peeing started. then it didn’t matter which litterbox he was near, he peed on the floor next to it. even if the other cat had never used it. he had a bad bladder infection but even well after that was treated and passed he went next to the box. changed boxes, changed litter, changed cleaning schedule, used feliway, nothing worked till a few weeks after i added a couple more litterboxes (more than 1 per cat plus one in this house and it’s not that big) but he still pees on the floor next to the litterbox sometimes. so i use puppy pads partway underneath and around the litterbox and cleanup is easy.

i could have REALLY used “the happy litterbox” when trying to figure out how to fix tiger’s reluctance!!

you’re not alone, Romeo, and your insight will surely be beneficial to the happy litterbox and all it’s fans. =)

Lilly and Lucy February 2, 2011 at

We’re so happy you confessed. You are a brave man! Secrets are just no good. Apparently our Mom knew about it, and she just told us that she didn’t mind at all working with you and your secret. But she’s still glad it’s not a secret anymore, and that you are now helping others :)

Nicky February 2, 2011 at

I, Nicky the Wonderful, have pee issues too! My Staff is going to replace the carpet soon because of me. I pee on the rug or walls if I’m sick or frightened. I sprayed the wall on Saturday because the Staff pulled down my automatic feeder and I thought they were abandoning me. After being kicked out 4 or 5 times in my life already, I tend to get very scared when I think I’m being abandoned!

SeattleP February 2, 2011 at

Wow this is so great I’ll help spread the info.

Amy Palmer February 2, 2011 at

I’m going to share this with new adopters at the shelter where I volunteer!

CathyKeisha February 2, 2011 at

What a good idea. We have a friend and one of her cats has litterbox issues. She thinks it’s because before she rescued her, she was shot with an arrow. We’re gonna pass the site url on to her.

AboutVetMed February 2, 2011 at

I LOVE this project. Kudos for the confession, Romeo and kudos to your staff’s vision to help other cats!